Ramesh Bharani Nagaratnam
Ramesh is an experienced litigation & arbitration lawyer in Singapore. He is also a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA). He has more than 13 years’ experience in the law and accountancy disciplines.
Ramesh is an active law practitioner, appearing at various levels of the Courts in Singapore representing corporations and individuals in legal disputes and matters. He specialises in civil & commercial litigation, defamation, medical and professional negligence. He is also sought by corporations and individuals on employment related disputes and regulatory and compliance matters.
Ramesh has a growing practice in international and domestic arbitration. He represents clients in commercial disputes in arbitrations administered by the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). Ramesh has also represented clients in arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). Further, he has acted in adhoc administered arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules. Ramesh is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb).
Prior to his legal career, Ramesh was an accountant/auditor. His practice focused on audit, forensic and investigatory work serving businesses from a multitude of industries.
Ramesh conducts seminars and trainings for the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) on insolvency and company law. As an adjunct lecturer with the London School of Business and Finance, he teaches Dispute Resolution and Employment Law. He also delivers lectures on employment law, contract law, anti-trust/competition law and anti-bribery/corruption law for other professional institutions and organisations in Singapore.
Ramesh is an advocacy trainer with the Law Society of Singapore.
Ramesh is bilingual in English & Tamil and conversant in Mandarin & Malay.
- Represented an Indian listed company in a commercial dispute for the breach of an exclusive agreement for the sale of healthcare products worth US$15 million.
- Represented an institutional investor in a local company for minority oppression under the Singapore Companies Act.
- Represented a Japanese company in Singapore against one of its directors for breach of fiduciary duties and tort of inducing a breach of contract.
- Represented an Indian bank in a dispute for the breach of a loan agreement to recover a sum of S$5 million from a director of the company to which the loan was disbursed to.
- Represented a foreign cricket board in a dispute for the breach of media rights agreement worth US$25 million.
- Represented a Singapore company against another involving an agreement to fabricate and install containerised generators worth US$2 million.
- Represented a company based in the UK in a dispute over an agreement governed by English laws for the supply of oil and gas.
- Represented an English company based in Singapore against its former employee for the alleged wrongful termination of employment and for claims of benefits and privileges worth over S$1 million.
- Negotiated for a public listed company their venture with a Japanese conglomerate into the build and sale of solar power facility/energy.
- Negotiated for a company their venture with a German Group on the sale of mobile network services in various countries.
- Worked with a listed company in India on the resolution of their disagreement with an American party involving the supply of steel.
- Worked with an Australian company on the resolution of their disagreement with an Indonesian conglomerate to mine oil and gas in Indonesia.
- Worked with a Singapore incorporated company to create and implement an effective fraud and anti-competition compliance program for their businesses in the Asia Pacific.